Thursday, June 4, 2009

Muppet Robin Hood #4 & Peter Pan #1

Muppet Covers:
Here are the covers for Muppet Robing Hood #4 and Muppet Peter Pan #1. The Robin Hood cover was in some ways an homage to Disney's Robin Hood...it was the narrator in the Disney film, but with Kermit's connection to the banjo, I thought it was fitting.

Peter Pan #1 was a bit complicated. When I was given the go-ahead, the final scrips hadn't been approved. So you may have seen a cover of mine with Robin as the Michael character. This version was used in Diamond and seems to have made it around the interweb. After the change was made to Bean Bunny, I fixed the artwork so the book could print with the correction. The next Peter Pan covers have Gonzo as Hook and the Lost Boys (waka waka!!)


Mouse Guard Contest:
I have mentioned in previous posts that I wanted to do a contest for the blog and for the fans. So here is how it will work: I will be posting a list of trivia questions at 12:01 AM on June 12th. e-mail back the answers....it will be as easy as that. The prizes will include: Original Mouse Guard artwork, My old 6' show banners, a set of sketchbooks, and signed books and posters. So check back to enter (and for further rules.

Snowy Valentine's Day:
I'm not able to post much artwork, but I'm getting into the final coloring stages for Snowy Valentine's Day. The publisher was drawn to my Wind in the Willows illustrations where I used fabric textures for the clothing on the characters. Julia and I went to a fabric store and spent a good hour just snapping photos of patterns and textures we thought would be helpful. I'm trying to wrap the interiors up this weekend, otherwise the book could be pushed back a year! (book publishing schedules are set way in advance and since SVD is a holiday book, if we miss the window for 2011, it goes to 2012).



Ink and Stein:
The first Ink and Stein was a huge success!! We had a larger turnout than we expected, got folks in for the local area and even brought in a few from the Lansing area. We had a few writers show up, which we hadn't planned on, but I was pleased they came. The whole idea is to get creative people around each other talking about and working on creative things. If Ink and Stein can bring writers and artists together to collaborate on ideas or help each other with their thought process, I'm all for it!
The next Ink and Stein will be June 27th (more info to come)

Fan Art:
Katie Cook drew this a while ago, but I saw it again at the Motor City con and thought I'd post it. Thanks Katie!!!

Upcoming Apearances:
Detroit Comics Reading Club: (edit: date postponed)

15 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dear David,


I was wondering how will the winners be determined? Is it by who gets the most answers right? Is there runner up prizes or is it a grand winner?

Luis

DPetersen said...

I plan on using the most correct as the winning criteria with speed being the tie breaker.

I plan on having a 1st, 2nd, 3rd, and 5 runner ups.

Brandon said...

Winter #6... really loved this issue. Seeing the mice interact with other animals is always cool. I hope that at some point you do Spring and Summer stories, where that would probably come into play more. The Winter story overall I think was a great follow-up to the Fall story, it had quite a different pace and mood to it, but it really did some cool things to setup future stories and doing Black Axe next is really going to be awesome.

I can't wait for SVD - I had no idea how far in advance book publishing schedules were set! That seems so weird to me. Are all publishers like that? I hope you're able to make it for 2011... to have known about this book for a while now, and then to have to wait two years for it... I can't imagine waiting three!

The Katie Cook comic is hilarious! It's so cute and adorable.

Anonymous said...

Dear David,

I was wondering if you might be doing a Mouse Guard #0? I know it sounds crazy but since your readers won't see the main characters for about 2 years maybe an origin issue might be a cool concept? Btw would you ever do a cover for Wizard Magazine?

Thanks for your time

DPetersen said...

Anonymous: I have stories planned for earlier adventures of Saxon, Kenzie, Rand etc. In fact the series after Black Axe will feature them all.

But it will unfortunately take a while before we get to post-winter stories.

As for a Wizard cover, of course, if I was offered the chance, I'd do it.

Anonymous said...

Dear David,

I was wondering the prizes for your trivia contest be posted? Btw if you come to Toronto will you have original artwork for sale and a sketchbook?

Brandon said...

Boy, I wish I could just randomly get on a plane and come to Heroes Con! (Or for that matter, SDCC later in the summer). I understand you'll be on a panel with Jeff Smith at Heroes? Fun times!

Anonymous said...

Is this competition open to people outside of the US?

If so the speed tie-breaker may not be fair as 12:01am is 5:01am in the UK for example.

James said...

how much does David charge for con sketches? I'm hoping to get one through a friend at Heroses con

Anonymous said...

Hi David,

I love Mouse Guard and I'm really interested in entering in the Mouse Guard trivia contest and so I was wondering if you were going to post the email address that you'd want everyone to email to (along with the questions) on June 12th.

- John

DPetersen said...

A's to the Q's:

Anonymous 1: I had planned on getting photos of the prizes, but I see now that I won't have time in the day today. Perhaps later this week before the entry period ends.

and Re: Toronto: I'll be there in August and provided I don't sell out of sketchbooks, Yes, I'll bring some. And I always bring original artwork to signings etc.

Brandon: I'm looking forward to heroes and the panel with Jeff should be fun! (Roger Landridge will be on that one too!)

Anonymous 2: I'm sorry the set time seems unfair to you. I have to lock down the time in one time zone (so I picked my own) I won't exclude UK fans, they don't get enough chances at the other contests and convention appearances. And everyone gets the same amount of time because I'm basing off of the 12:01 EST.

James: At Heroes I'll do inked comissions 7" square for $100

John: You don't need to e-mail to recieve the questions. They will pe posted on the blog at 12:01 am tomorrow (EST) the e-mail address to send your answers will be in the instructions also posted then

Anonymous said...

Hi David,

I was looking at the artwork on your blog and i saw pictures of Wizard of OZ and Hellboy, Runners, Skin Deep and i was wondering if these pictures are published works? If so what issues are they in because underneath the pictures all it says is image? Btw are those pictures for sale or are they part of your personal collection? Sorry for all the question:)

Mouse Fan1

DPetersen said...

Mouse Fan1:
The Oz piece was a comission for Steven Gettis and his blog:
http://digitalmedusa.com/sgettis/word/

The Hellboy piece(s) were just for fun

The Skin Deep piece was agift for Kory Bingaman. Here strip is called Skin Deep and she was asking for fan art as filler while she was out of town. Skin Deep:
http://www.webcomicsnation.com/korybing/skindeep/series.php

The Runners Piece is a pinup for Sean Wang's comic Runners. We exchanged pinups. Mine will see print in a few years when he gets the book ready for print, his appeared in Winter #5.
Runners:
http://runnersuniverse.com/

Brandon said...

I like Anonymous' idea of a Mouse Guard #0. It kind of goes with the idea of an annual that was previously mentioned. Whereas an annual would allow for some short stories, a #0 would be a good chance to do some type of origin story... the forming of the first guard! The building of Lockhaven! You can think of more interesting things probably. So many great stories to be told in the world of Mouse Guard, it's exciting! Long live the guard! (Sorry if this double-posts, the blog was being weird.)

James said...

David,
My friends were there on Saturday and they got me on your list for a sketch. They explained to me the situiation and that it will be mailed.
I just wanted to see if there was anything you needed from me.
Thanks!

Blog Archive